9 July 2024

PYGMY CUPWING aka PYGMY WREN-BABBLER

Location: Frasers Hill

Date: 8th July 2024





Pygmy Cupwing or Pygmy Wren-Babbler is a vey tiny bird from a family of Pnoepygidae that lives in moist tropical lowland and mountain forests. On Frasers Hill you can find them among thick undergrowth along the roads where there is a water source nearby like a small stream. They are found in a small number of a pair or two. I have been trying to photograph them during so many trips. Sometimes i heard their calling but could not locate them in the thick undergrowth due to their tiny size and feather color which camouflage them very good among the branches and leaves. Sometimes when i saw them i could not photograph them, due to the poor lighting in the undergrowth. Yesterday (8/7/24) my luck changed for the better when a single Pygmy Cupwing decided to come out during noon, long enough for me to get a few shots and a clip of video. I must admit that it was quite a challenge to focus on the eye handheld, my video came out shaky wihout a tripod. I will post the video later. 

I would like to share the Pygmy Cupwings photos here with for your viewing.























Thanks. Till next time happy birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment