10 March 2019

RAPTOR WATCH 2019, TANJUNG TUAN, PORT DICKSON

Date: 9th March 2019
Time: Afternoon
Location: Hutan Rekreasi Tanjung Tuan


Image from Malaysian Nature Society


Finally, after years of procrastinating, I finally attended the Raptor Watch which is held annually in March at Hutan Rekreasi Tanjung Tuan, Port Dickson. It was hard to push myself to make the almost two hours drive alone from Kuala Lumpur, but I did it, slowly. Last year I went to this location, but one week after the event, hoping that the birds were still around but most of them flew back towards China or Siberia. Well I guess even the birds have to keep their schedule otherwise they will miss the spring up North, food, mating, breeding or whatever that keep them going.

Upon arriving, I noticed a lot of school buses parked along the road, hmmm...must be for the school trip for the students to learn about nature and birds. Well, that is good, we must teach our children to love and preserve the environment, flora and fauna, especially birds. The bad part was there were hundreds of them in groups, making loud noises, which for birding is a no-no. Well, I guess I just have to put up with them for just one day. Actually, it was a two days event, but I did not plan to climb the hill twice with my heavy equipments. So, I must get all the photos I could in just one session. Some more, the day was hot and humid, my session was between 11.30 a.m and 4.00 p.m only.



Entrance to Hutan Rekreasi Tanjung Tuan


There were a few stalls at the entrance to the Hutan Rekreasi Tanjung Tuan for registration with the various nature societies, promotional activities, selling books on nature and birds, souvenirs, shirts, food and drinks, very lively.


Registration for visitors




Books and souvenirs for visitors


















The walk up the hill was about 500 meters to the lighthouse. Along the way up there were a few more stalls. As the bird waves usually happen in the morning up to noon, and starting again in late afternoon around 3.00p.m, people just took their time off from bird watching and browsed the stalls for souvenirs, and also food for lunch. 







Along the walk up the organiser of the event put up these banners of the species of raptors you might see flying above. I am only familiar with a few species like the Brahminy kites, Black-shouldered kites, Crested Serpent Eagles and White-Bellied Sea Eagles as per the pictures below, Blyth Hawk-eagles and Changeable Hawk-eagles.














While waiting for the next wave I decided to try the jungle track that goes downhill to the left of the lighthouse. There were a few fallen trees that cut the path along the way, and a few gazebos for resting. I heard a lot of birds high in the tree canopies but I could not see them, I guess they were hiding due to many visitors especially the noisy school kids. I also heard the screeching call of the  raptors from the top of the trees, and saw one flying but just could not just take a shot through the tree canopies. It was quite tiring to go down the track and up again carrying my gear, and I was totally drenched with sweat!



Jungle track downhill




Rest stop gazebo along the track




Yours truly totally drenched with sweat after jungle trekking.


At around 3.00 p.m I went up to the lighthouse area after 30 minutes rest. The raptors were started coming out and circling above. However, they were not as many as I expected. There were about 20 to 30 raptors circling high above the forest. I only brought my Canon 5D3 with Canon 400mm f5.6 plus Kenko 1.4x Pro DG 300 extender, giving me a 560mm focal length at f8.0. While this focal range is good enough to get a reasonable size raptor images, it is not long enough to get good details of the feathers, especially during hazy weather that day. My advice is to get a longer lens like 500mm f4 or 600mm f4 plus 1.4x extender giving a total focal range of 700mm or 840mm with a full frame body, or equivalent focal length of 1120mm or 1344mm respectively with an APSC body like 7D2.



The Lighthouse in the background




The crowd gathered on the slope waiting for the raptors to appear




Access to the Lighthouse terrace is only allowed during the Raptor Watch




No tripod to hang my gear while waiting for the raptors to appear




They came out around 3.00 p.m. (Take note of vignetting when use 1.4x extender)










Hazy weather reduces the sharpness of the photos










White-bellied Sea Eagle - juvenile?

















Oriental Honey-Buzzard - Male





















































I stopped the session at around 4.00 p.m as I had taken a few hundred shots already, not to mention I was getting tired shooting without a tripod and gimbal head. I would advise those who are interested to go to the Raptor Watch next year to bring a tripod for sharper pictures, and also to reduce fatigue from holding your heavy set while waiting for the raptors to appear. However, having said that, carrying a heavy tripod up the hill is also a challenge, unless you drive your 4x4 up the hill, which is allowed as I have seen a few 4x4 went up all the way to the lighthouse yesterday. Also, bring the longest lens you have and shoot a lot of photos. You will be surprised that out of a few hundreds you shot only a handful are worth keeping. Use at least 1/1000 sec speed to freeze the movement, and reduce movement blur, although I sometimes shoot at 1/1600 sec or 1/2000 sec if l have enough light.

I also would like to advise all of you to dress for the hot and humid weather, and bring one or two bottles of mineral water. You will perspire a lot and you need replenishment. For birders do not forget your binoculars, at least 8x40 or higher as those birds fly quite high in the sky. 

I think the Raptor Watch is a very good event to bring exposure to our young generation about birds and preservation of their habitats, and should continue definitely. Our government and private companies should support the Malaysian Nature Society and others alike in their work to preserve the birds and their habitats, not only for the current generation but for the future too. It was quite an experience for me to attend, and I would recommend others to attend the future events.

Thank you, happy birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment