8 May 2019

SECOND OUTING WITH CANON 7D2

Date: 4 & 5th May 2019
Location: Frasers Hill
Gear: Canon 7D2 with Canon 400mm f5.6



This second outing was to further familiarize with the Canon 7D2 body features, and test further the performance of the AF and image quality in the field. For this outing in order to get the best image quality I decided to pair with a prime Canon telephoto lens 400mm f5.6 non-IS. I did the AF micro adjustment in the field and +4 gave me the sharpest image possible. 

The first few images here are of a Malaysian Laughingthrush shot quite close at about 4 meters. I had a bit of problem focusing on this bird as it was too close and very skittish under poor lighting condition, I had to use a single point with 8 point helpers AF mode. The original images was quite dark and noisy, and had to be recovered in Lightroom. I had to bump up the ISO to 6400, used the widest aperture at f5.6, and slowdown the shutter speed to 1/320 second to get as much light as possible. I tried using the speed at 1/640 sec ( 400mm x 1.6 crop factor) but it was too dark. So at ISO 6400 the noise is visible. In this scenario the 5D3 would be a better performer, but I only brought the 7D2.


Malaysian Laughingthrush shot at ISO6400, f5.6, 1/320 sec




Shot at ISO6400, f5.6, 1/320 sec




Shot at ISO6400, f5.6, 1/320 sec



Shot at ISO6400, f5.6, 1/500 sec


I find the 7D2 image quality was not as sharp and clean as my 5D3. There is a bit of softness in the images, lacking contrast even though I adjusted the contrast up in the picture profile in the camera.
The AF locking on the bird sometimes felt slower than the 5D3 despite all my setting was on focus priority. The AF sometimes missed the focus point either in front of the bird or at the back. Sometimes the single point with 4 helper points AF missed the target and I had to use the single point with 8 helper points AF instead. In my 5D3 the single points with 4 helper points AF works the best and the single point with 8 helper points AF not so good. I set the focus priority on my 5D3 and 7D2 the same, and yet I couldn't help but feel the 5D3 AF is more accurate and lock on the subject faster.




The only sharp image of this White-throated Fantail out of so many I took because the 7D2 AF could not lock on this skittish bird despite having a capable AF. The keeper rate is very low.




I finally got record shot of a Slaty-backed Forktail at about 5 meter distance in good lighting condition. However, the image is not tack sharp, a bit soft I might say. ISO3200, 1/640 sec, f5.6




ISO3200, 1/640 sec, f5.6





ISO3200, 1/640 sec, f5.6




ISO3200, 1/640 sec, f5.6




ISO3200, 1/640 sec, f5.6



Well, those are all I have to show you from this second outing with the 7D2. I took a lot of photos but due to the keeper rate is so low I have to discard a lot of unfocused shots, under exposed shots which are not worth keeping, which is due to the 7D2 limited ISO capability of only up to ISO16000 which is not usable due to noise, compared to the 5D3 native ISO of up to 25600. The highest ISO I would use for 7D2 is at ISO6400 with a bit of noise. With 5D3 I can push up to ISO12800 with a bit of noise. However, it is not fair to expect an APSC sensor to have the same ISO performance as a full frame sensor in 5D3. My biggest disappointment with the 7D2 is the soft image quality more than anything else. What did Canon do in the design of the sensor used in the 7D2? How come my 60D sensor produced better images? Is it the quality control in the production line of the 7D2 that caused this or the software algorithm designed by their engineers? What is it? Would sending my 7D2 body back to Canon for adjustment solve this issue? I just do not know yet. All I know is the results so far have not convinced me that the 7D2 can live up to my expectations. Maybe I should invest in the 1DX series instead? That is a million dollar question. Hmmmm......money again!

Until next time, happy birding. Go out there and shoot some bird photos.

Cheers.

No comments:

Post a Comment