13 March 2024

COLLARED OWLET

Date: 9th March 2024

Time: 3.00 p.m

Location: Frasers Hill


In my last post i mentioned that i was trying my best to add any species of Owl to my photographed wild bird species list, and i have to admit it is easier said than done. I have tried for so many years looking for them either during the night or daytime, but luck was not on my side. I did get tips from some birders and locals on their last spotted locations but still to no avail.

So last Saturday 9th March 2024 i thought of to go for one last outing before the fasting month of Ramadhan started just trying my luck. It was a hot Saturday that day on the Frasers Hill with temperature hanging around 35 Celcius, which is due to the hot season lately. Since there were not many birds around i decided to make my lunch and have a cup of coffee not far from Hemmant Trail junction. At around 3.00p.m some birders were in a hurry to go to a spot nearby. One came to me telling me a Collared Owlet was spotted on a tree right next to the road. I grabbed my 7D2 with Sigma 150-500 lens and rushed to the spot. 

It was very difficult to locate the Owlet using my 8 x 42 Bushnell Legend binoculars with the sun blazing in my eyes. I had to adjust my angle of view a few times until i saw this tiny species of owl. Its camouflage feathers just blend in the tree trunk perfectly. It size must be not more than 8 inches head to tail i think. It just stood there between the branches at about 8 feet high from the ground wondering who are these people below, with long lenses and taking its picture and ruining its privacy. I manged to take a few shots for record. My 7D2 and Sigma lens was hunting for the right focus through the tree leaves and branches. But i was happy to get at least the shots below to share here. After about 15 minutes it flew away to some trees across the road. It was difficult to spot the Owlet as the trees canopy were thick. 

Collared Owlet
COLLARED OWLET







Now that i have managed to add this Collared Outlet to my photographed wild bird species list, my next mission is to photograph another species called Wooded Brown Owl, which was reported by some birders to have been spotted along the Bishop Trail on the Frasers Hill. 

Till then, happy birding.

No comments:

Post a Comment