24 December 2018

ORANGE-BELLIED LEAFBIRD

Date: 24 December 2018
Time: About noon
Location: Fraser's Hill
Local Name: Burung Daun Perut Oren
Spot: Approx. 3 meters from the jungle edge and up 5 meters on a big tree.
Distance: Approx. 10 meters away
Behaviour: Building a nest.


Today my birding started around 11.30 a.m by visiting my favourite spots along the Telekom Loop road. The day was overcast as it has been raining for the last couple of days with intermittent light rain.  My first spot did not produce anything. My second spot was near a private garage of an abandoned holiday house (never seen anyone here for so many years even though it still looks good). This spot was more lively with a few species of birds like Crows, Black-throated Sunbird, and Orange-bellied Leafbirds. I managed to photograph a female Orange-bellied Leafbird bringing food back to her nest on a big tree.

The bird noticed me standing below with a long lens pointing at her, snapping away a few shots, and was quite uneasy jumping around and making loud chirping sound. I think she was telling me to go away and leave her alone. The light was very low and without a flash it was quite hard to get  clear pictures, some more using an f8.0 lens combination. Below are some shots for your viewing.






























My third spot along the Telekom Loop road did not produce anything. I could not complete my birding further along the loop road as it was closed halfway due to landslides. I drove to the Remnant Trail but it too was closed by the Forest Management due to landslides. My birding came to an end at 3.00 p.m due to heavy rain and thick mist afterwards.

Looks like I have to continue my birding tomorrow, the Christmas Day. For those celebrating Christmas, have a merry Christmas.

Cheers.


No comments:

Post a Comment