6 May 2015

CANON BG-E11 BATTERY GRIP FOR 5D MARK 3 REVIEW - PART 2

In my last Part 1 post i said i would come back with a feedback on the use of the grip in the field. Well, i managed to try it out during my recent trip from 2/5/15 to 4/5/15 in Fraser's Hill. My feedback is as follows:

1) Weight Issue

The weight of the grip plus two LP-E6 batteries attached to the 5DMK3 body with a Canon 400mm f5.6 lens is not such a big issue when hand carried, but if this set up is added with a flash like canon 600 EX-RT and a tripod plate, the total weight can be quite heavy. Hand holding this set-up and trying to focus a bird high up in the trees with non-stabilized lens like the Canon 400mm f5.6 can be quite a task. I could hand carry it and shoot a couple of shots but not for a long time, so using a tripod is necessary and recommended.

2) Battery Life

I inserted two Chinese made third party LP-E6 batteries which had less than 50% charge into the grip from the first day of the trip. The batteries were totally drained out only at the end of the trip. So that is a total of three days of usage with two 50% charged Chinese made third party batteries. I can safely say if they were 100% charged maybe they will last at least five days, and maybe a week for original Canon batteries? So that is the convenience provided by the grip with two batteries that i did not have to change the batteries so often especially at the crucial moments when the species i am searching appears suddenly in front of me. I still carried two extra batteries as spare just in case they ran out.

3) Weather Seal

I used the grip in a light drizzle during the last day of the trip near the Jeriau Waterfall area and i did not have any problem at all. I am glad i invested in the original grip instead of the third party China brands. Sure it will cost more but it will give me a peace of mind for years to come.

4) Form Factor

The grip will make the camera body look bulky but surprisingly i can hold the camera better with longer lens. It provides more grip when carrying the camera with one hand and more balance. Without the grip my 5DMK3 with a 400mm lens will be front heavy, but by adding the grip it was a lot more balanced and easier to hold steady for a good focus. However, i do have one issue. That is when used in a portrait mode the viewfinder is in the middle, a lot lower than the shutter button on the grip. It is awkward, something i need to get used to, but i do not think there is anything that can be done to solve this issue.

5) Storage

I like to keep my camera together with the lens attached in my camera bags. My biggest problem with the grip attached to the camera body is that it cannot fit into the bag anymore unless i take the whole set apart. So now i have to carry the camera separately outside the bag which will expose it to knocks and scratches here and there. Unless, i buy a bigger bag to solve this issue which is another investment.

Anyways, i see more positive of using the grip and the grips is now permanently attached to my 5DMK3 body. You might want to give it a go.

Thanks for reading. Happy birding.


No comments:

Post a Comment